Keeping Home Insurance Claims Away During The Holidays
December 12, 2022
The holidays are a time for joy and family, not for homeowners insurance claims! Here are some tips on how to reduce hazards around your home for the holidays:
- 45% of home Christmas tree fires involve electrical or lighting equipment, don’t let an electric fire happen to you. Unplug or turn off your Christmas lights and decorations overnight or if you leave the house for an extended period of time.
- The weather can be chilly this time of the year and portable heaters are commonly used. Place any portable heaters away from Christmas trees, drapes, or any other flammable material that may get too hot and catch fire.
- Christmas Day and Christmas Eve are two of the top five days for home cooking fires. Stay in the kitchen to watch the cooking food, check on the food regularly, and keep children away from stoves or areas where hot food is being kept.
- The holidays are a time to invite friends and family over to your home. Make sure you have enough liability coverage on your policy to cover any accidents and clear your home of risks. You can do so by clearing your driveway and walkways of snow or ice to prevent falls, cleaning up snow puddles on your floor to prevent slippery surfaces, making sure exterior lighting is working so guests can see where they are walking, removing any clutter that can be tripped on, and introduce pets gently to prevent them from nervously biting.
- New Year's Day is the number 1 holiday for car theft. To prevent you from becoming a New Year's statistic: lock your car doors, don’t leave your keys in the car, and never leave your car running without you inside.
Happy holidays and stay safe!